Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Try It Tuesday

We eat a lot of eggs in this house.  I buy at least 3 dozen each week and of those, 18 are hardboiled for egg salad, to be chopped up in a salad, or to eat as is.

I saw on Pinterest that hard eggs can be done in the oven and thought I would try it. The claims were that the egg tastes better when baked and, as a bonus, makes the process easier.

In order for it to work, the eggs have to be at room temperature.  They should be placed on the center rack, with a cookie sheet underneath just in case an egg breaks.  The oven should be set at 325 and the eggs baked for 30 minutes.

I tried this with a few eggs and the results were a disaster!  The eggs got brown spots on the bottom - at least the ones I was able to peel the shells off of had brown spots.

I took a step back and reassessed the process to determine if I did anything wrong.  I 'fessed up that I may not have exactly planned ahead and the eggs most likely were not at room temperature.  I also left the eggs in an extra 5 minutes.

So I tried it again.  And again.

Three times at bat and three times I struck out.  I will be hard boiling my eggs the way I have been for years.  Even if this procedure had worked, it seems much more time consuming.  To boil 18 eggs, I just place them in my big pasta pot, fill with warm water, add a touch of vinegar to the water and bring it to a boil.  Once it reaches a boil, I turn it off and let it sit for 11 minutes, drain the water, allow the eggs to cool and wash the pot.  If I use the oven, I have to remember to take the eggs out and allow them to come to room temperature, put them in the oven, along with a pan (just in case).  If one does break, I imagine baked egg is a pain to clean.

I'm just not sold on this one and it is getting deleted over at Pinterest!


**I apologize for lack of pictures this time.  My camera went with the husband and kids on a boating adventure and seems to have failed to make it back out of the boat.  I don't trust the set up enough to climb in there and search for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment