Saturday, September 15, 2012

New Birchbox Arrived

Guess what I found in my mailbox this week?  That's right - this month's Birchbox!

For those of you that missed the last post about Birchbox, it is a company that started as a college course project.  Two women obtain full sized sample products from various health and beauty companies and for a nominal fee ($10 a month) send out a box of samples to their customers.  If at any time during that month you fall in love with a product, you can order it at a significant discount.  You can accumulate points for orders, reviews and referrals and these points can be used to purchase other products.

Now, onto this month's Birchbox.


I'll admit, my excitement dwindled a bit when I opened it up.  This month was definitely NOT last month.  But, I think that is to be expected.


This was the highlight of the month for me.  I have worn Eternity since high school.  I switched once to Lauren and while I loved it, it makes me sneeze non stop.  So I went right back to Eternity.  However, I have been using this since it came.  And while it seems very strong at first, it mellows rather quickly and my family has commented "what smells so good" when I walk by.  Since I am not carrying a plate of chocolate chip cookies around, I am guessing it is me that smells so good!


I haven't tried this cleanser yet.  They included two small plastic pouches of it.  I'm not sure that is enough to determine if I like it.  My skin changes so much during a month that I feel I need to use something for at least a full cycle to know if it manages to earn a spot on my counter top.


I am a firm believer in the roll scent plays in our lives.  So this piqued my interest.  My kids were moaning and groaning about doing homework the day the package arrived.  I put some of this on their wrists and had them smell it.  I don't know if it really worked or it was psychosomatic, but they both seemed to perk up and get their work done.


Apparently, these are all the rage.  I have seen college aged bloggers comment about loving them, and one even posted on making your own cheaper versions.  See Katie make these here.  My daughter says a few kids have them at school, but are wearing them as bracelets.  I offered this to her and then found it on my fireplace mantle an hour later.  So not a big hit.  And they are expensive, so I recommend checking out Katie's blog, Let's Be Preppy to see how to make these on the cheap.


Isn't it ironic that in the photo of the full sized nail polish they included, you get a full view of my mini sized old lady hands?  I'm not a big fan of black, gray or dark nail polish.  I actually rarely paint my nails.  I love how my hands look when my nails are painted.  But I hate how they look when it starts to chip.  And somehow, finding time to remove and reapply nail polish has not been a priority around here.  By the time I can paint my nails, it is almost time for bed.

Included in the first picture, but not earning a photo of its own is the decorated zip lock bag they included.  Nice, but until a money tree pops up in the back yard, I am not paying for decorated bags.  Actually, even if a money tree popped up, I would and could find a thousand other uses for it than decorated zip lock bags.  So, no.

Have you joined Birchbox yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment