Friday, October 26, 2012

Required Reading

So, what are you reading?  I am always on the lookout for a good book, either for myself, or for my kids.  I recently read The Light Between Oceans, by M.L. Stedman.


I am going to go as far as to say that I highly recommend this book.  I wavered for a bit as I had a problem explaining to myself why I liked it so much.  In the end, I realized it was because the author did a great job of making me like and dislike each of the characters in the book.  At times I sympathized with one or the other and later found myself placing my loyalty with a different character.  While not a book that caused me to get completely lost within its pages, I did find myself looking forward to the time I set aside each night to read.

I started two new books this week. One I am reading myself, the other, I am listening to as my youngest son reads aloud.  It is his first ever chapter book and he is so stinking proud of himself!



Junie B., First Grader. An absolute favorite in this house.  When my oldest child first discovered the Junie B. Jones series and had me read them out loud to him, I will admit to being horrified.  Junie B. DOES NOT use the English language in a way that would earn her a good grade from an English teacher.  I found myself correcting the words (for example, saying "more fun" rather than the "funner" that was in the book.)  But the spirit of the book was lost.  Junie B. is a riot!  I actually am shocked that Hollywood has not knocked down Barbara Park's door and turned this into a tv show or movie. There is a little girl who attends school with my younger two children who IS Junie B.  She would be perfect to play the part.  


 This is my grown up read.  I'm going to say, that I am highly doubting that James Patterson is doing anything other than contributing a chapter, or editing skills to all of the books he is churning out.  I am only about 40 pages into this, and like all his books, they are a very quick read.  Not loving it, but that is not unusual. These are meant to be a distraction, not literary gold.  It is serving the purpose and allowing me some time each day to unwind.

Tonight, before bed, we read another favorite.  Even my 12 year old listened - after all, it is his book.


As we wait to see what weather Mother Nature is going to deliver to our doorstep next week, it seemed fitting to read a book about her trying to get her wild child, Autumn, to bed.

That is what is being read here.  What books are you leaving dog eared on the sofa arm?

No comments:

Post a Comment